Thursday 28 November 2013

PREPOO TIME


I decided to prepoo on the spur of the moment. Since my hair was already in its loose state, all I did was divide into four sections. As I always say, doing everything hair-related in SECTIONS has been one of the hair practices that has saved me a ton of hair. It makes every process less painful.

I first applied my oil mix on dry hair. I warmed the oil in hot water for just a few minutes to make it lukewarm but not scalding hot (no one wants to fry their scalp). I massaged my scalp and applied the oil to the length of my hair with particular attention to my ends (the oldest portion of my hair). I was heavy handed with the oil and for good reason. For me massaging the scalp allows blood circulation which promotes hair growth. Secondly the oil lifts any dead tissues and flakes from my scalp so that I don’t have to subject my hair and particularly my scalp to any rigorous scrubbing. I have a sensitive and a highly irritable scalp and so this is what works best for me.

Oil mix: EVOO, Coconut Oil, Almond Oil & Grape seed Oil

After the oil application I busted out another favorite product, HONEY. I don’t do anything without a drop or two of honey. Honey is a humectant. It sorts of attracts moisture from the atmosphere into your hair thus incorporating moisture. After tucking my hair under a weave for two months, this treatment was/is very necessary.

My honey of choice
 
I applied the honey into my hair after rubbing it in my hands (side note: application is very very stick y’all but go ahead and apply it, your hair will thank you for it, lol).
I then put each section into a Bantu knot.

Four sectioned Bantu Knots
 
 I have gotten to a stage where I do not need any hair ties or bands to hold my Bantu knots in place. Even though I use these in my go-to styles, I find that constant use snags my hair. Putting my hair in Bantu Knots stretches my hair for easy manipulation. I am not ready yet in my process to detangle and so every step that stretches my hair counts.
I covered my hair with a polypthene bag and a scarf and went to bed. For those of you who do not have soo much time to fuss over your hair like I do, doing these processes over the weekend or overnight will be appropriate. Please note that putting too much honey in your hair and subjecting it to the slightest of heat will make it runny and stain your clothes or beddings.


 


  

 

 Don’t be heavy handed when it comes to honey (another culprit is egg, but we will take about this later). I mostly sleep with my mixtures atop my head. I get more conditioning hours this way but please feel free to do what works best for you.
Early the next morning my body heat plus the oil and honey had made my hair soo moist and soft as well as pliable. Let the pictures tell you the story.

Applied the oil and honey on very dry hair but look at this moist hair the next morning.

It’s optional but most times you don’t necessarily need to buy expensive stuff to achieve the same results ingredients right from your kitchen can do. Everything I used was dirt cheap. My hair is thoroughly conditioned and soft. I could just style my hair and keep it moving from this point but my next step is a protein treatment.

Look at that shine!!

Bantu Knots really stretch my hair out!
 
 I have incorporated moisture next is to fortify my strands. Balance is the key here. Some people deep condition their hair without understanding the details of it and assume their hair should grow over night. There is moisture conditioning and protein conditioning. You need to balance the two but please don’t overdo it. Pace yourself and grow some lovely hair. 

Be good to yourself...

No comments:

Post a Comment