Monday 18 November 2013

CURLY FEATURE : NANA KESEWAA (aka the other half of Naturallybeautiful-gh)

Hello Fam, meet Nana Kesewaa from Ghana.
Its such a long story but meet the other half of naturallybeautiful-gh. I will say she is the brain behind this baby. She is also the author of  http://www.thesingleafro.blogspot.com/. She has such an overwhelming command of her words and describes things and situations soo vivdly its amazinnnngggg!!!!!




     Please introduce yourself

Nana Kesewaa Dankwa is my name, I cut my permed hair off in 2009 December 1st after about 7 years of keeping permed hair. Thus this year I will celebrate my 4th year of being liberated to enjoy my own hair.




   Have you always been natural and for how long? What motivated you to transition

·         I gave up my permed hair for several reasons I did not understand why we had to perm our hair, what was wrong with our hair?

·         I always admired ladies with natural hair especially when I saw black-Americans in their Afro's.

·         It also marked a new beginning for me.

 



     How would you describe your hair and what do you love most about your hair?

My hair is pretty much the most obedient type, soft and not so difficult to comb. In spite of this fact it has its disadvantages. My hairstyles especially twists do not last very long when I have them installed.

 

   
    What are some of your favorite hairstyles?

Because of my work I do not get to wear very crazy hairstyles to work, just a pony or up-do  most of the time but during the weekends I get to let my hair breath, I try various hairstyles, Mohawks, fro-buns, or the ever popular Afro.
To be a natural hair chica is very self-liberating for me.

   What is your hair regimen including favorite products?

For hair products my utmost favorite is Dark and Lovely's Hair Moisturizer. It has brought some calm to me in some troubled times. I basically like hair products that I can use every day that do not have very high oil base.
I like hot-oil treatments mostly, I have some olive oil my sister got from Egypt, so what I do is I warm it and apply in my hair and cover is for a while, then wash. I regularly use Shea-butter as well to condition my hair.




    What are your thoughts on natural hair in Ghana (ease with products and access to salons), in the workplace and your experiences so far?

Well in Ghana, i can say there are not very many salons dedicated to natural hair, even those that are into natural hair are often dedicated to locs or braiding but not to the care and styling of natural hair, very few Ghanaian hairstylists can work with natural hair. They mostly get frustrated and see natural hair as a bother, they mostly always recommend twisting or braiding.

When I first cut my hair I wrote down all the reasons why I was doing so and if people ever made me forget I would just go back to it. And when I did cut my hair, the comments I received were outrageous, as if I had done something wrong, but my life is always about me not anyone else. I knew and still know I am never ever perming my hair not for all the china from china.

 
 
   What is the best thing about being natural?
 
However, there is this feeling I get when I comb my hair and it’s all up and Afro-ish and to me it’s a feeling of freedom, confidence and certainly letting the world know you know what you are and what you want.

   Any words of wisdom?

Is basically know why you want to go natural, I know a few friends who gave up along the way, maybe they got tired, having natural hair like any other hair has its bad hair days, I have had a hair nightmare before, I went to fix a weave and the cornrow the lady did left a patch of my head bald even though it has grown back since then I have learnt a lesson that my hair is quiet delicate and must be treated as such. So know why you going natural and stay true no matter what happens.

  
go slopsan!!!
 
Is there anywhere on the various social media we can find you on?

Yes. I have a blog
http://www.thesingleafro.blogspot.com/




Please send a mail to yayahabiba@yahoo.com if you would love to be a feature on this blog. 


No comments:

Post a Comment