Wednesday 9 October 2013


AND SO IT ALL BEGUN!


Alright, so let me break it down for y’all.

I didn’t grow my hair overnight (just saying). I have been natural for 4years and 4 months now and i must say it has been an interesting journey. When i think of all the Cedis i have wasted on products just because i saw someone on YouTube rave about it, i cringe inside (and sigh and shake my head). I learned the hard way that no two heads sprouting natural hairs are exactly the same.

I have had to try so many products and regimen till i found what works currently for me. I have had to tweak this same regimen over the months to suit my hair and the limited time i have.

I started with a tinny weeny Afro. I had (and trust that i still do) wanted to chop off all my hair but my sweet mother was sooooo against it. I learned and accepted a bit early prior to my natural hair journey that “ITS JUST HAIR AND IT WILL GROW BACK”.

I chopped off all my healthy long relaxed hair for two reasons,

1. I had always (and i vehemently still do) loved natural hair and wanted a piece of the action, lol. But on a more serious not i wasn’t enjoying being in other people’s styling chairs. Those familiar with this know very well the kind of treatment we have to endure at the mercy of such stylists.
It ranges from a myriad of problems, its either your hair is not being washed well or they are practically scrubbing the life out of your scalp. The pulling and just the disrespectful treatment in general. And Boy! going to the salon has gotten quiet expensive with time.
Its as if we are going to be sprouting golden strands after every visit.

2. The second reason is that (am soo ashamed to say this but) I had to prove a point to my mother. She swore my hair wont grow back if i cut it.
Well, i have always liked a good challenge and from the looks of things i hit the ground running and am winning. lol

Ladies to rock a short fade needs a lot of courage, confidence and an attitude (not an ugly one i must say) not forgetting a reason why you chopped off your hair in the first place. Trust me, this “good reason” will keep you focused when it gets tough (like when you can’t quite achieve certain styles).
You need to carry yourself like the queen that you are. Don’t let anyone tell you ish.

I will talk about my regimen in another post because this is getting super long.
Stay tuned

No comments:

Post a Comment